Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I signed my child out of public school today...

I signed my child out of public school today.  It is a wonderful school, there's a wonderful supportive learning community there-- We're in the South, so even the more difficult children have good manners here, so it's a lovely environment-- but the condition of her teeth has really suffered since she's been in public school. 

I had homeschooled her before we moved here for a year, and I think she really missed the freedom to explore that we had with homeschooling, so I was considering it as a possibility for next year... until I was in the pediatric dentist's office for a second opinion and treatment plan, yesterday.  When they started talking about root canals, and possibly strapping her to their 'papoose board', I kind of freaked out.

I try my best to be a fierce advocate for my kids, so I made sure the x-rays were explained to me, and this was not some invisible cavity problem (when I was a child, my mother was told I had four invisible cavities, and she noticed that every child in and out of the office while we were there had the same amount of cavities, and heard the dentist bragging about his new speedboat).

If the dental interventions are really necessary in the future, I'll support that-- but at this moment I have a child who is not in pain, or exhibiting any sensitivity issue, and so I'm going to do my best to strictly adhere to the principles that Dr. Weston Price advocated, and see if we can't remineralize those teeth or at the least stop the advance of decay.

No comments:

Post a Comment