Sunday, February 10, 2013

Taking Care of Me, so I Can Take Care of Them...

I had a rough week this week.  We did some good work on review/learning about the 7 continents (found some cute mnemonic aids in the form of songs to help remember them, which the kids would not embrace   :-/)and how to locate them on the globe, practicing fluency in reading, learning numbers and letters, counting, making some awesome pictures, but I am learning that I need practice in going with the flow.

Thursday morning was like pulling teeth.  The weather was yucky, the kids wouldn't focus, I was frazzled from having my own class Wednesday night from 7 to 10pm.  So we made it a short day and I took a hot bath right before lunchtime and had a good cry to myself and some colorful daydreams about enrolling the little rascals in a charming boarding school in Switzerland.

Although part of my homeschool aspirations is to keep them engaged in projects and activities and moving and shaking, I may try out a website called www.time4learning.com as a back-up plan for when the kids are wearing me down.

It seems to me that when the barometric pressure drops, our kids are extra nutty and hard to focus.  Anybody else notice this??  Does this happen to anybody else?

Anyhoo, I have ordered some herbs and supplements to help keep up my strength (SAMe and He Shou Wu), and stocked my freezer with lamb shanks and cow feet to make soup (the feet are full of gelatin, very nourishing).  Lamb always makes me feel replenished.  I also plan on making a big beet salad with ginger and carrot and apple, and eating beets every day this week.  I aim to love beets this week, it's my mission!

I have always been blessed with wonderful friends, and one of my buddies generously offered to have the kids over on Fri, so I could get a bunch of errands done.  It was like a shopping vacation, I grinned like an idiot the whole time.  This was like gold, because my husband is gone for 5 or 6 days at a stretch, and I have zero time to myself to walk across the room or the road as fast as I please without precious little people hanging on me.  I love them dearly, but I need a few minutes to myself now and then!

The lowpoints of the week were my son taking off all his clothes and throwing his shoes and my daughter's head, and him peeing in the freshly cleaned litterbox (which was a lot funnier for me after I had walked him through cleaning up the litterbox he had peed in, so he could see what a joy that is). 

The highpoint of the week was my daughter electing to sleep in her bed in her bedroom so I could have some space, after my son hit me in the face with his head when we were sleeping... she's growing up to be compassionate, aw!

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful mum, and it shows in your children's actions. And yes the girls are extra loco when the bar drops...

    ReplyDelete